Tuesday 30 August 2011

A chill is in the air

The last two days I have noticed a real change in the weather. The morning air on Sunday had a smell of autumn to it (if you have any idea what I'm talking about). I felt quite excited that Sunday morning because I thought, ooh autumn's here.

I love autumn, it's my favourite season. The warm days, cool nights, harvest time, trees changing colour, dark nights drawing in and snuggling in the house under blankets on the sofa watching TV.  I love the change in meals from light summer food to warming hearty stews and home made hot puddings.  I love the clearing of the garden  and preparing it for next spring with bulb planting.
 


For the last two days I have felt quite chilly around the house so I have worn a fleece. The house would most probably have been warm enough if I had shut the back door but I like to leave it open all day so the dog can keep going in the garden. I see me having to close it soon though. When you think about it, today is only a day away from the last day of August and we should be basking in late summer sun still. I refuse to have any heating on in the house yet. We watched a film last night and I was chilly so wore my really thick winter dressing gown and soon felt lovely and warm. Fuel is way too expensive at the moment to have the heating on this early. 

Hubby changed our gas & electric suppliers the other month and today we received a cheque from our old supplier for £92 which was owed back to us. Tomorrow I am going to ring a double glazing firm who gave us a quote for a damaged window http://frugalinyorkshire.blogspot.com/2011/06/just-short-post-today.html to come and do the work. Easy come, easy go. Bye bye £92.

Have any of you succumbed to turning the heating on yet?
Bye for now.

5 comments:

  1. The opposite here. It's getting hotter. But no aircond yet. I'm going to try and hold off and see if I can get away with not having it on this year...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit that I had the heating on for an hour on Sunday night. We'd been out of the house all day and it was just so cold when we got in that it had to be done. I haven't turned it on again since, though I easily could as it's definitely cooling down now. I hate saying goodbye to summer, though what summer have we had to wave goodbye to this year?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love autumn too..it makes me think that christmas is coming...and I do like having the fire roaring away..no central heating on here yet, but I have had the fire burning for the past few nights!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've not succumbed yet but we can feel the draughts and it's definitely cooler. I hope we do get more sunny days though even though like you I enjoy the nights drawing in. Your stew looks very inviting.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like to be snuggled in, nice casserole to eat and usually a drama to watch on tv.

    ReplyDelete