Tuesday 26 April 2011

Menu Week 25/04/11


MONDAY - Leftover chicken and bacon pie, roast potatoes and vegetables

TUESDAY - Pasta bolognese, cheese and homemade garlic bread

WEDNESDAY - Sausage, egg, chips and beans

THURSDAY - Creamy pesto chicken, new potatoes, peas and roasted tomatoes

FRIDAY - At a friends BBQ

SATURDAY - Chicken/tofu fajitas

SUNDAY - Lasagne, salad, homemade garlic bread

Yesterday I got ready to to make tea. I got the onions sliced and put them in the frying pan to saute for my chicken and bacon pie. Disaster! the camping gas was empty (no hob at the moment due to having kitchen done) It was 4.30pm on a bank holiday Monday and no way of getting a refill. I had to make do with cooking our meal in a microwave and the oven.

So how to saute onions without a hob. I put the onions in a cake tin with the oil and butter and popped them in the oven. I kept giving them a stir and then I threw in some chopped bits of bacon and it all softened really well. Could not par-boil the potatoes for roasting so they went straight in the oven with a tray of carrots to roast. I made my sauce for the pie in the microwave which worked well. Now I have never cooked veg in the microwave so was not looking forward to broccoli cooked this way. I had visions of it being tough or rubbery but in fact it came out lovely and tender with a lovely bright green colour. I threw some frozen peas in with the broccoli near the end of cooking and was very pleased with the result. Pie was cooked in the oven and we ended up with a good meal.

Been this morning to get a refilled one of these. Managed without yesterday but don't want to do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment