Monday, 4 April 2011

My Cupboard challenge

I'm giving myself a challenge, to rid my cupboards of old items I've had hanging around for ages. I gave myself the challenge after reading Frugal Queens blog http://www.frugalincornwall.blogspot.com/ on how she's trying to use food from the store cupboard  instead of going shopping. So here are a few of the items I want to try and use up in next weeks menu plan.




In the jar I have semolina which has been in there a while so needs using up. I have a part used bag of ground rice. Can't remember why I bought it. Think I tried a milk pudding with it and I remember it being horrible. A packet of couscous which I bought last summer in France. It was a double packet of couscous cellophaned together. We only used one packet on holiday so I brought the other packet home with us (being one of  those people who hate to waste anything). Then we have the tin of chestnut puree. One of those impulse buys that you never use. Finally, half a bag of yellow split peas. I am going to google recipes this week and come up with some interesting ways to use these store cupboard ingredients. Will let you know what I find in my searches. What do you have lurking in the depths of your cupboards?

4 comments:

  1. There's nothng lurking at the back of my cupboards really as I had a sort out recently. It's amazing how you forget things and they get pushed to the back of the cupboard never to be seen again until they pass their use by dates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've used Yellow split peas in a spicy carrot soup if you want the recipe? xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nellilou,
    Yes please, that sounds a nice soup. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! I must do the same.

    ReplyDelete